Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Taking some time out...

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and decided that I'm not even sure continuing to have an Etsy shop makes any sense for me. The new look banner was an attempt to get back on track but my heart really isn't in it. Not right now at least. Back even a decade ago (before the internet became my selling stage) when I had free time from my freelance design work I would paint, draw, make things and generally enjoy myself. I never felt any pressure. Sure, I used to do occasional craft fairs and sell things I made - but there was no guilt when I wasn't making things specifically to sell.

Etsy has been a great experience for me, a much happier one than selling on Ebay ever was. But, creating items to put up for sale, has a very different vibe to making things for myself, to decorate my own home or give to friends as gifts. The problem has become that I feel like I need to keep putting fresh things into the shop and popping up on the internet with something new to keep people interested. I just don't get the free time to do that very often and big gaps between projects mean that everything has become very scattershot and unfocused. So I feel as though I am constantly failing: I guess that my etsy shop has become a rod to beat myself with.

I've decided the best course of action is to just close the shop for now, so that I stop feeling guilty about it. I have a lot of work to wrap up on the Cult of Doll Almanac, to get it ready for publishing on the 24th of April.... and then I just need to be quiet and let a new direction develop organically. I enjoyed doing the 28 Faces challenge recently, even though I didn't have much time to devote to it and know that drawing and painting must become the focus of whatever comes next... but I have no plans, let's just see where that takes me. I think that is quite a nice way to start the Spring proper ;o)

3 comments:

BlacknickSculpture said...

Yve you shouldn't feel pressured about putting new work in your Etsy shop. Or popping up online to keep people interested. Your a kick ass artist with quite an imagination. Don't beat yourself up. Create what you enjoy working on when the spirit moves you. We only get one shot at this ; )

Debi said...

Every artist needs to step back, away from what is stressing! I have several friends who have said exactly what you have said.
You know you and YOUR creative process and creative bliss. Free yourself, but keep in Touch! xoDebi

Yve said...

Thank you both so much. This has been building for quite a while and I just really need to stop and... not even take stock... I guess just go into a Pupal stage maybe.... can't promise a butterfly will emerge though! ;o) Tee hee