Friday, September 19, 2014

Welcome home Scotland!

I am so relieved that Scotland has decided to stay in the United Kingdom. I am sure this is an issue that is very hard for anyone outside the British Isles to understand but it's a really emotive one for us. I am Welsh, that means that genetically I have more in common with the Scots and Irish than I do with the English. There are plenty of 'Celts' in the British Isles who still see the English as Saxon (Saesnegg/Sassenach) invaders!

A large part of Ireland left us a long time ago, but for the rest of us Welsh, Irish and Scots there is always this dual identity, we are also British. It can rankle that to a certain extent we still get told what we can and can't do by the "English" government.

The English, on the other hand, seem to view 'English' and 'British' as one and the same thing. Or at least they do when the Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland team is doing well at a sporting event England already crashed out of ;o) I figure the easiest way to describe it is to say we are like warring siblings. All said and done, I think we are better, stronger, together. I hope we always stay that way, but also that we always remember to celebrate our differences.

No comments: