Monday, December 16, 2013

Back away from the crafters Kirsty!!!

Oh Lord.... am I going completely crazy or does Kirsty Allsopp have truly TERRIBLE taste? I keep trying to watch her crafting shows but I don't understand her aesthetic at all. It all looks like the kind of thing a 6 year old brings home from an afternoon at school, covered in glitter and featuring every colour under the sun. Of course, every doting mother kindly sticks the "glittery whatever" to the fridge door... but Kirsty ISN'T a toddler and I wonder why this show is on in the evening when the ONLY people who will find her "Inspirational crafting tips" in the least bit revelatory must still be in nappies????

SERIOUSLY, £5 for a plastic gadget that makes Pom-pom creation EASIER.... since when was that rocket science??? WHO can't make pom-poms the apparently labour intensive old fashioned way? Thank the Lord we have Kirsty to tell us that if you coat a ball in glue and dip it in glitter you get... a glittery ball! Hhhhhhmmm, let's see, who wouldn't be able to figure that stuff out for themselves? Oh, that's right, the kind of person who would be happy to wake up on Christmas morning to unwrap a pack of home TIE-DYED gaudy coloured shop bought knickers, that's who!

I have found all her shows so far a bit of an insult to all the incredibly talented and hard working artists and crafters out there who work so damn hard to make truly beautiful things.

PS: If you are thinking what a curmudgeon I must be to watch TV with.... I have had a complete U -turn on Ripper Street, this second series has been so fabulously bonkers that I am now a confirmed fan and will be sad to see it end tonight!

8 comments:

The costume keeper said...

You are so right,it actually makes me angry that the only time crafts are shown it is such rubbish. It is a huge insult to real crafts people . I find it incredible that she professes to luve crafts and is so unimaginative and frankly so dreadful at them. On the bright side the Tudor farm gives some relief!

Yve said...

Glad I am not the only one! I must look out for The Tudor Farm then, I haven't managed to catch any of those. Here's to true artists and crafters, let's chuck Kirsty in the bin! ;o)

Grace Garton said...

I watched two episodes of Kristy and I must admit the only thing I liked about it was the use of the tilt and shift camera effect. Her voice put me off more than anything else..well then it was her colour schemes...oh and painting over lovely old wooden furniture...it was all crap!

Yve said...

Hee hee, Grace, you put it very succinctly ;o)

Abi said...

Kirsty Allsop? I thought she was the house woman... I'm having to think what it was called... relocation, relocation, relocation, or was it Location, Location, Location! agh, can't remember! she was a little annoying in that....

Yve said...

That's the gal, Abi... she is just a little bit annoying in the house finding shows, which I haven't watched in years, but are apparently still going, But she is an estate agent so just playing to type... in the craft shows she is spectacularly, insufferably, stupendously annoying with glittery knobs on!

I haven't managed to watch one to the end and have decided I won't try again as I seem to turn into Basil Fawlty after about 10 minutes...

Abi said...

Basil Fawlty!! OMG, now I had totally forgotten about him!!! what a great show. I have discovered that the Yanks are so occupied with Detective and Medical shows, that there is a distinct lack of good comedy.
Seriously, there must be at least 10 detective shows on per week, if not more. I need to waste time adding them up really :) And, I did come back - you were testing me right? LOL

Yve said...

Yes, you passed my test young 'Padowan of the Many Cats'... good work finding which one of your multi-comments I replied to.

I don't think our TV is generally much better these days, it's all 'Reality' twaddle, but there are amazing exceptions of course.