Saturday, October 19, 2013

but I LOVE Bloggers!!!

 I have to wonder, in a rather cynical way, if tiresome Martha Stewart didn't have that little mini-rant against us Bloggers the other day to try and up her media profile? You know, in that, no publicity is bad publicity, kind of way that Miley Cyrus seems to be going for? MS used to have things all her own way, at least in the States. I used to hear people raving about her and feel we were kind of left out this side of the pond. Then, through the power of the internet, I finally got to see what she was all about.... and was a little underwhelmed to be honest. Occasionally some nice ideas, but, honestly... nothing that revelatory.

Here in the UK we have always had that do-it-yerself, make do and mend attitude that comes from generations of kids learning to make things from old fairy liquid bottles via that stalwart of children's TV: Blue Peter. Want to know how to make anything crafty, well, there was probably a village fete in the next few weeks or you could ask the Jam & Jerusalem ladies... then blogging happened and now none of us needs the kind of self-procalimed "Expert" Martha puts so much faith in anymore (so b*gger off, Kirstie Allsopp, stick to flogging houses!)

I particularly don't want Martha's advice when I'm pretty sure she has an army of hidden and unacknowledged designers coming up with everything behind the scenes. As a freelancer I sometimes get paid to design things that hit the shops with some celebrity or other's name on it, I have friends who also do this. Our work isn't acknowledged, we just get paid to do the work and make the currently bankable celeb look good... they have a "Public Profile" and I do not. I guess it's just the same as all those Celeb autobiographies out in the shops which are actually written by someone whose name will never appear on the credits, what a devious and deceitful world we live in these days.

Blogs have kind of skewed that money making world order though. If I want to know what craft products are good value for money I trawl the blogs, looking for recommendations from people I know use those products everyday. Like me they are "real people" and don't have a bankable "Public Profile" so they aren't being paid to endorse these products. They ACTUALLY use them, so have a valid opinion. Real people are the real experts. I have learned so much from blogs over the last few years and, like many others, I have also felt the support of an unseen community when I have had problems and been physically unable to get out in the real world. I don't remember Martha or Kirstie Bl**dy Allsopp sending me well wishes when I was out of action for months on end!

Lordy, give me a stay at home Mum who just happens to paint in her spare time and wants to rave on about the fact that she finally found a brand of paint brush which didn't shed hairs all over her canvas like a demented Persian Cat. So what if she isn't a trained writer - so what if she doesn't have a degree in Paint Brush reviewing....  and probably does have a lovely Persian Cat she will share pictures of. If I take recommendations from my friends then why wouldn't I listen to a lady half way across the world who tells funny stories, gripes about stuff that bothers her and shares the occasional recipe (Georgina, where are you?) and does really cool paintings she sells on etsy? It's just the big virtual, pan global version of gossiping over the garden fence... and long may it continue!


5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Right on!! I totally agree:)

kay susan said...

Well said!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

here here ... miss English crafts at the local village hall :( .... and Blue Peter was teh best ... I can make soooo many things with an old toilet roll with my kids ;) xxx

FairiesNest said...

I can totally get behind this! We always call her Mothra around here...

Yve said...

Mothra Stewart, I like it ;o)