Saturday, May 25, 2013

3D Eye and tie-dye hair disasters

I used to dye my hair every colour imaginable when I was younger, but starting to go grey in my late 20's kind of cooled my wheels and by 40 I was very conservative in my hair palette only choosing natural colours and for the last 2 years have even been getting lighter and lighter to make the sudden (overnight usually)  appearance of grey roots less noticeable.

I am a dark eyed gal though and I just don't feel as sassy with dark blonde hair! I mean, who wants to spend ages dying their locks MOUSE?

So last week I bought a box of that bright shiny new Preference Mousse Absolue, you know, the one you can mix and keep until the next application? L'Oreal is good stuff and what a brilliant idea because when a gal is getting serious grey-age, this "next" application comes round quicker than you would think possible. So I handed over the £10+ and came home with my box of Light Chestnut Brunnette and high hopes.

Dyed my hair on Thursday, well, dyed SOME of it, a very nice burgundy colour. Sadly not all of it dyed, just random patches of burgundy (errr, sorry, I mean Light Chestnut Brunnette ) and it has dyed some of the grey roots a light plum colour. The colour is completely random, here and there and not even the full length of the strands it has coloured. So, this morning I spent a long time separating out all the undyed patches and used the second application to cover them... result... very cr*p result actually! The second application did nothing and washing my hair for the first time has significantly faded the first coverage. I would be really proud of this look were I still 20, it's very shiny and well conditioned!

My second nightmare this week was going to see Star Trek: into Darkness... Not the film, you understand, I really enjoyed the film. I really enjoyed the whole 3D experience too, especially since the last 3D film I saw was Jaws 3D. No, my time in the cinema was great, having always hated Star Trek and suffered a fully paid up Trekkie mother all these years, I am glad the Re-boot added running, explosions and generally "things happening" to the, errr, plots (OK, I am still not sure I can stretch to the word PLOT, but I frequently used to lose the will to live 5 minutes into any of the old Star Trek bore-fests, so this is a definite improvement.... and the new cast are way more attractive than the oldies (even when they were young!) so that helps too)... especially Mr Cumberbatch... I think I might be slightly in love with Mr C.

So I came out of the cinema full of the Joys of Spring (it being May) and didn't pay too much attention to the really odd look of everything until I was driving my companions home. Everything had that weird kind of light and slight unrealness that you get just before an electrical storm. By the time I was driving home I realised that the storm was actually brewing inside my head, cue the biggest most action packed explosion filled re-boot of my long running series, The Migraine. There was a lot of running too, me, to the loo to throw up every few hours (having learned the hard way not to head for the trendy bowl sink!) while the lighthouse beam in my head revolved endlessly in the darkness. There was nowhere to hide for 20 hours or so, I still feel kind of hung-over.

Now, I, in my naivety, had thought that The Migraine, had been cancelled after 40 years of causing me bi-weekly misery and generally dictating the course of my life. I never knew why my constant companion from mid childhood had suddenly upped and left but I certainly wasn't complaining and after maybe 6 years free of the symptoms I was pretty sure they had gone for good. Well, apparently JJ Abrams had other ideas: his new shiny Star Trek in 3-bloody-D resurrected James Tiberius Kirk's old nemesis and also mine in the process. Just a warning to the similarly afflicted, wait for Star Trek (and Gatsby) to come out on DVD where the 3D experience can't detonate the light show in your head!

2 comments:

Georgina said...

I almost spewed my morning coffee all over my nice, clean, keyboard while reading your hair colouring tragedy. I decided back in my 40's I would go gray and I am now a happily, 61 year old salt and pepper, post-menopausal lady.

Thank you for the warning about the migraines. My hubby and I were planning on going to see the new Star Trek, with some trepidation since I've never been big into 3-D. When my grandson's were spending the summer with their father here in El Paso, I had the opportunity to have them a couple of times for over-nighters and during one of their visits, they wanted to see "Toy Story 3" in 3-D. I advised them if that was their preference, they would be terribly distracted at having to clean up "Meema's mess," since my inner ear and 3-D are not on an even keel...such smart boys, they opted for the regular showing.

Anyway, I haven't had a migraine in years. The first time I experienced one, I was in 6th grade during music class. We were studying Gregorian Chant and I thought all those square musical notes were quite silly. I then began to see lights, split eyesight and I thought those silly notes had finally taken their toll and blinded me!! I went to the principals office where she called my mother and described what was going on and she was very nonchalant and told them to give me an aspirin and put me in a dark room. They did so and I ended up in a musty and dusty book room...shall never forget that and still tell my mother how awful she was not to pick me up from school and at least save me from those silly square notes!!

Anyway, I don't want to wake up that sleeping monster anytime soon, so thank you for the heads up and I'll wait to Netflix it in a few months.

Hope you're feeling better now and take care.

xxoo,
Georgina

Yve said...

Yes, finally seeing just one of everything again :o) I wonder if sound set off your migraine that time? I have had so many things trigger them over the years, the most dramatic usually a bright light, like sunlight glinting off sea waves in Cornwall when I was seven! That is the first I remember celarly.

My Granddad also suffered and worked most of his life in a Steel Works which I can't imagine was the best environment. He was such a good and well liked worker that they built him a steel hidey hole he could crawl into and sleep it off whenever the private light show started.

A lot of people in my family suffer and they do seem to run out of steam as we get older thankfully. I guess there have to be some compensations, tee hee ;o)