Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bl**dy Copycats!!!!

I am trying to be all sang-froid about the fact that someone is merrily copying my buccaneer hats and posting them on a doll forum telling everyone how much she is enjoying making these British Naval inspired hats... really, really??? No, MINE were British Naval inspired - but yours, dear lady are just copies of mine. Mine = Inspired, yours = Copied! British Naval Hats don't have trims like that do they? They don't have long ribbons dangling from each corner, and they aren't made of blue or pink felt! I know this because I spent ages on museum websites saving pics and have a whole folder of photos of the real thing on my desktop and even sat through countless historical dramas including Master and Commander twice, just to LOOK AT THE HATS! (Ok, so maybe with that last one I was really looking Russel Crowe in knee breeches).... and breathe....

A friend assures me that hers are not as well made and look like tea cosies wheras mine are actually solidly and traditionally constructed buckram and wire hats with felt over, it's just the crazy front and back brims that have an element of fantasy... and I shouldn't forget that actually it was looking at the work of superb French Doll artist Julien Martinez that started me off anyway...

What the hell, who cares? Who gives a damn to try and do anything creative these days when whatever you come up with will be brazenly copied by some Bessy-no-brains, who will then list them at half the price and crow to everyone how wonderful her creations are and talk about her inspirations to anyone who will listen? I give a damn actually and am just clinging on to the FACT that the point of art for an artist is in the process of creation, not the end result. That time we spend messing around and forming something straight from our own imagination is the real core of being an artist. It's what makes us tick... and boy am I ticking right now.... Look out, she's gonna blow! Tick tick BOOM

Normal service will be resumed after tea and biscuits

2 comments:

Natasha Morgan said...

What a Cow!
Sorry Yve, it's so horrible. Hope someone buys her badly made stuff and then lets everyone know that it fell to bits in two minutes. :(

Yve said...

Tee hee, thanks for the support Natasha. In the cold light of day I have decided I was being a bit of a Prima Donna... everybody gets copied if they post on t'internet, just a sad fact of life. I just need to get back to making things and ignore it. You know how it is, being immersed in your own world is the best part of creating :o)