Friday, August 24, 2012

Would you pay £5,000 for a DOLL?




First off, this is not jealousy, and I don't begrudge the artist in any way because, let's face it, the majority of art dolls get sold at way, way less than their actual value. Many doll artists do it as a hobby because people will simply not pay for the hours, weeks, days of skilled work that went into making a doll. People moan about the price of Asian BJDs because they are coming from a mould but forget all the time and effort that went into making first the sculpt and then all the moulds and then perfecting every cast made from that sculpt.

So, no, I tip my hat to Marina Bychkova that her stunning Art Dolls currently fetch such high prices, but at the same time I still am baffled at who would pay over £5,000 for a doll? A doll? I adore dolls and would be proud to own one by an artist as talented as Marina but even if I won the lottery tonight, I still would not be paying that sort of money for a doll ( a stupid and self deluded statement, I have never been rich so how could I possibly know what I would do?). Possibly because I remember the stories my grandparents told me of their dirt poor childhoods and early years, is it that? Would I just feel such guilt at the thought of how many people there are in the world whose lives could be changed overnight by a gift of £5,000. They would use it to buy themselves shelter, safety, food, clean water, their freedom, things that are priceless. For some reason there seems to be a barrier in my head that says an art doll cannot be worth more than £1,500! I've no idea where that arbitrary figure comes from but I know every time I see an auction go above that I question the sanity of the bidders. Feel free to throw accusations of reverse elitism and offers to stuff my working class piety down my throat in the comments box :o)

6 comments:

Drycha said...

I think prize will be much higher at the end. I don;t remember how was on her last auction but that blowed my mind...

Resin Angels said...

I've been watching this doll on Flickr, eagerly waiting for her to go on eBay just to see what price she would be. I was thinking maybe $2000usd as a starting price, but omg $8 freakin thousand!!! You could buy a seriously nice car for that, even a small down payment on a house! Yes totally agree that $8000 could do so much for people in need and schools, and the elderly, victims of domestic violence, animals in shelters and the list goes on. I love Marina's dolls, she is very artistic but she is raking it in, to me it's seems...dare I say it, greedy. They could easily sell for $2000 max and she could sell heaps, she'd probably never go out of business. I remember a few years ago I sort of followed her work, admired her and she said something quite snooty and that put me off her (can't even remember what it was now). Anyway I hope the person who wins her is made very happy by that little doll.

Yve said...

She is amazingly talented and these are stunning dolls, good luck to her but it is just not something I could justify to myself. Not spending that on a doll and not charging that for a doll I had made either. (That's in the fantasy world where someone would actually pay me that much in the first place obviously!!!)

For me there are just ceiling for what I would spend on certain types of items I guess. An item has to be genuinely useful for me to spend £5,000, a house deposit or a car or a new set of living room furniture, white goods or something that has a practical purpose like that.... I guess even a wonderful trip to somewhere exotic that I would remember the rest of my life.

I agree with you Sam, though, I hope whoever wins it is very happy with their purchase, no matter what I feel about the price tag.

Marille said...

Hi, I think that $5000 it's too much. I love Marina's dolls but are only still dolls. If I had a lot of money maybe then I would think other. I don't know :)

Greetings from Poland

CindySowers said...

I think to wrap your head around the thing, I was thinking about something I saw Susie McMahon post, and that is that to the Japanese, the doll is the highest art form. I don't know if that is true or not, as I am not Japanese and don't have any kind of academic background with Japan culturally other than 1 college course. We didn't talk about dolls in that. But, if that were true, and the doll were the highest art form to some, then it would seem plausible that a doll, best in its class or whatever, could fetch a hefty price. I mean, think about what a flat wall painting could go for if done by what would be considered a "master" in that realm. I'm thinking a whole lot more than $25,000. Do I have that to spend on a doll? Of course not. But I don't have it to spend on a painting either, and some people do. Some people have a million dollars to spend on what they consider a very high art form. And museums certainly do. And some people have enough to basically surround themselves with beauty at every turn.

Flora said...

To each his own, if money was no object then yes I would relish the purchase but since I'm more in the
" money can be better spent " category ... her dolls are beautiful pieces of art.
Blessings,Flora