Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dollfair: A Warning

I'm sure many of my readers (Hiya, wavey hand) are also BJD fans and even own a few. I'd just like to refer you to this website:

Dollfair Help Page

It has been set up by Nocturne of Silence from the Den of Angels BJD forum to warn people about just what they are letting themselves in for if they order a doll from the US BJD company "Dollfair" which also trades under the names of "Atelier Nouveau" and "Enchantment Doll" (Not to be confused with Marina Brychkova's Enchanted Doll, although I think any confusion has been deliberately fostered on Dollfair's part). The company acts as an english language portal for respected Korean names like Narin, Supia and Limhwa dolls , and you may not even be aware that the website you are buying from is actually Dollfair.

Why am I concerned? Well, because I paid Dollfair in full for a Sleetwealth Briar doll marked as in stock on November the 1st, and like so many people involved my emails are either met with silence or strangely familiar excuses. I have twice been told that my doll is ready to be shipped and that I would receive a tracking number the next day, I receive nothing! People on DOA have been waiting for dolls/refunds as far back as February 2010.

Non of this reflects badly on Anita Collins, the US artist who created Sleetwealth Briar, and former fellow ADO member. I knew she had been previously represented by Dollfair and so didn't worry too much. She has since told me that she is no longer associated with Dollfair at all and that they do not have permission to be selling her dolls anymore, or at least taking money for her dolls, as they have no stock to sell. This is a familiar story with many of the other artists involved. This is what Anita has to say on her blog:

Sleetwealth

I just want to warn people that dealing with this company is a bit like buying a lottery ticket, you may win, ie: get what you paid for, or you are just as likely to join the growing number of us who get nothing at all except a churning stomach and sleepless nights.

Be warned!

9 comments:

Robyn L. Coburn said...

Thanks Yve. I've linked/featured on my blog.

Yve said...

Thank you Robyn, this whole thing has really gotten me down. I prefer to think that people will be good to their word.

Resin Angels said...

I just can't understand this, Dollfair used to be such a good company. A few years ago I was into Narin dolls and I bought one of Dollfair narae secondhand. I emailed Christina to find out more info about which one of their face up artists painted her and she was very helpful. I wonder what has gone on there, they must be in some sort of financial trouble maybe? Yve, I hope you get your doll very soon, is there anyway you can claim through Paypal and cancel your order?

Abi said...

My god! that is so wrong.

Yve said...

I thought Catherine/Catrina was a really trustworthy woman and still would if she showed any signs of sorting out my order, I have given her the get out clause, time and again, that if the doll is not available just refund my money. They chose to do neither and won't communicate except to say it's shipping, but then it never does.

Tired of the whole thing, so filing my Visa chargeback papers later today, really reluctantly, but I've given them enough time to sort this out. What is far more worrying are the growing number of people who we are discovering that are waiting for refunds from as far back as Feb 2010.

harem6 said...

Hi, Yve! We wish you an amazing 2011! Full of joy, love, great work, inspiration etc......

Abi said...

Have you received your doll yet?

Yve said...

No, but I did get a fell refund from Visa chargeback on Friday thankfully. So for me this horrible mess is all over, but it still leaves scores of people high and dry without a doll or a refund, some people waiting almost a year. Such a horrible situation.

Yve said...

That should have been FULL refund btw!