Wednesday, December 15, 2010

BJD Making experiment 1

OK, last night I drew up my perfect doll shape from the front back and both sides on the computer, because I was stressing about getting everything symmetrical and lined up and... you know, STRESSING! I'm making her MSD size, 16", about 43cm, but I have to say I was pretty shocked when I printed it all out, it seemed HUGE!

I bought styrofoam blocks yesterday, basically wet Oasis that you use for flower arranging. It's really great to carve and can be smoothed and modelled with you fingers to a certain extent. The dry Oasis is too crumbly in my experience (my experience with flowers anyway!). So I cut up the print outs: Head, torso, arms, legs and cut the Oasis into blocks that fitted the front/side views of each piece. Then I have carved away at the head and body blocks until I got the shapes I wanted and smoothes them over to give a nicely modelled look. I will photograph everything before I start tomorrow so you can see where I am at. :o)

No comments: