Saturday, July 31, 2010

Frida Khalo update and copyright issues

It seems the Paper Doll I made for the ADO MMC will not now be going into the shop as it turns out that Frida Khalo's family have finally decided to assert their rights to license her likeness and name (quite rightly). I had presumed that the abundance of Frida inspired work out there meant that her image and name had been granted some sort of public commons license (or whatever they call those things) but apparently the estate now think enough is enough and want to clamp down on the misuse of her legacy.

It's a shame as this was the very first doll project I have been able to finish this year, and having had my own injury setback (albeit on a much, much, much less serious scale to poor Frida's) I found this woman very inspiring. Doesn't give me more right than her family to make money from the association with her though... fair enough! My Frida Paper doll will not go on sale.

8 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Well that is interesting. Why is there so much art with her likeness being made and sold? without any consequences?

Abi said...

Shame,but indeed you are right and I still can't see any inages!!!!

Georgina said...

Copy Rights are necessary, but it's too bad you were unable to continue your paper doll project. I too am a bit puzzled as to why the heirs of her name and estate would object since there are so much interpretations of her out there. Oh well, lovie, chalk it up to experience and the law...oh bother!!

Georgina

Sophia - La La said...

I had no idea! I wonder what the implications are for artists making and selling Frida inspired dolls? There is so much out there I assumed like you it was ok. It is a shame because your Frida is magnificent!!

Yve said...

Frida Khalo was a hugely interesting woman and artist of international reknown and I guess the family have the right to start protecting her image. It must be frustrating to have to watch while someone makes profits from selling Frida Tequila or whatever. I can understand why they want to clean up the mess her legacy has been left in and they have to start somewhere.

It's a shame about the ADO challenge but in the end, creating art is it's own end, not selling it, I guess :o)

Yve said...

Oh, Janet, I guess the consequences are yet to come?

Margarita said...

I really admire your honesty and your respect for copyright. Really you are one of a kind.

Yve said...

Thanks :o)

I doubt that there is much here that would be covered by copyright if I removed the name "frida Kahlo" from the images but I would still be making money from the association with this artist, and if the family don't want that, I'm fine with it.

I've had my own tiny injury problems to deal with and thinking about Frida while I was drawing this doll - her lifelong battle with terrible pain and the way she soldiered on regardless- gave me a real kick in the pants. So I got a lot from this project even if it never goes into the shop! :o)