Tuesday, March 9, 2010

TDP Doll number 2 - ready to go

I've finished my second ADO Travelling Doll. This one, Aiden, comes from Helen Fern. He arrived as a tiny calico cloth doll (he's about 6" tall) and I've given him a paperclay face, painted with watercolours ( enjoying a break from Acrylics and I love the effect on clay) then sealed. He also has a mop of black/auburn tipped tibetan lambswool hair.

Small dolls are really not my forté, so I don't mind saying I was quite daunted when I unwrapped him, he's a fraction of the size of my usual dolls and some of them are a lot larger than those pictured below with him!


Photobucket



I am really into paperclay faces at the moment, though, so went ahead and had quite a frustrating time trying to create elf or goblin type features. Most of my sculpting experience so far has been sculpting life sized busts (heads, not lady-parts you understand!) at art college. This scale is way more difficult and I'm not entirely happy with the end result... but I guess he is a character! His annoying, squishy face and the fact that he was originally meant to have red hair, reminded me of a certain bizarro potato faced acting-challenged cop in CSI MIami - hence his nickname of "Horatio Jnr"! He will be going in the post to Angela Rousseau tomorrow and I will be getting Deena Maurus's doll from Helen shortly. Will keep you posted.

Photobucket

Say goodbye to Horatio Jnr... sorry, I mean Aiden!!!!

3 comments:

Beadwright said...

I love his little face and you did an outstanding job.

Nicole/Beadwright

Georgina said...

Eve, you crack me up...I love his sqeeeeshy face!!! He's just to cute!!!!

Yve said...

He's feeling better now after me insulting him, thank you ladies!