Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hope you find peace

I am stunned and actually in tears at the tragic news that Alexander (Lee) McQueen has died in London today, apparently taking his own life. It's strange when the death of someone you don't know really knocks the wind out of you but McQueen was young and vibrant and here and loved and made us proud to be Brits. An astounding and towering genius in fashion and one of my favourite designers, I hope you find peace wherever you are. I wish I believe that last part was possible, but sadly I think when we are gone, we are gone.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Zan Asha said...

Yve, I just heard this too. To be honest, I didn't know him, but then I'm sort of a fashion ignoramus. But to see his work in retrospect, I can see he was truly gifted. It's a shame, seems somehow the sensitivity connected with art seems to render a sensitivity to life in general. I hopes he rests in peace.

Yve said...

He was kind of difficult to avoid in the UK, poster boy for British designers. Always seemed very full of life and motivated, you just can't tell, can you? Sad

Sue said...

I was also stunned when I heard this news. He was such a unique talent - one of my very favorite contemporary designers. So tragic and a huge loss to the fashion world. May he rest in peace.

Abi said...

I agree Yve - tragic. Why oh why.

Deborah said...

I am also a fashion ignoramus, but it is just so overwhelming sad to think of a human being in such a state of grief to take their own life. One of my son's battle buddies who just returned from a year in Iraq with my son did the same thing. His funeral is tomorrow and no one had any idea that he was hurting so badly. Can't help but think if they just could have reached out to one person...sending love, Deb

Yve said...

Suicide is so difficult to comprehend but then those still capable of reaching out don't take their own lives, I guess. I think it startled me more than anything as he was younger than me and yet someone whose career I've watched and admired for such a long time. He had a fair bit of tragedy in his life the last few years and was a really sensitive guy from what I've read today, Such a shame

cinderelly said...

very sad.