Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sorry for delay, not in a good way right now...

Unplanned delay to the second part of the Paper-clay "slep-by-step", as I have been laid up in bed on heavy medication for sciatica (or whatever this is). I had quite a bad fall in early December, and really hurt my back and ankle, thought I had broken it at first. I fell over a big heavy metal heater and got my foot/ankle trapped in a bar as it tipped and fell over, so couldn't actually fall to the floor and remained suspended by my left arm and right ankle in a very awkward position for a few minutes until someone came and helped me back up. My ankle and back have felt very odd ever since, but it just seemed to be swollen and badly bruised and I was able to walk on it for the intervening weeks. Every now and then my ankle would suddenly give way and I'd fall and the swelling would get worse, but it didn't seem worthy of a trip to the doctors. I've spent too much time in waiting rooms over the last few years. Another hour wasted with sneezing people for a few hallowed minutes of disinterest with a GP who is too busy planning their holidays to even look me in the eye. What is the point? I did ring the surgery to ask for painkillers and got rang back to tell me to use the ones I take for my arthritis.

On Christmas morning I woke with a terrible headache and back pain and my ankle swollen again, couldn't put my weight on it at all (I know you have this image of an old lady in your head but I'm just in my 40's, honest!). It has continued to get worse over the Christmas break until now I find it very hard to move my right lower body and my left arm. I can't lift either arm above shoulder height. Getting dressed/undressed is just too difficult! Once I am stood and have something to take my weight I am not too bad, just in pain, but getting from a lying or sitting position to standing and back again, well that's incredibly painful and something I really need help with and to psyche myself up for. I think this is all from that fall, but my doctor, who no longer does house calls unless it's an emergency (the house is not on fire, someone checked for me!) has decreed yet more arthritic joint deterioration and who am I to argue... someone who never went to medical school, obviously! I do wonder at the medical profession and my doctor in particular though, shouldn't diagnosis by performed face to face?

Will do second part of my tutorial as soon as I am able. If the learned one is right then I should get some movement back sporadically and will just have to stare at the ceiling until then. Thank heavens my Mac is on a wheely table and the keyboard is wireless!

8 comments:

Sue said...

Ouch!!! Rest up and get better feeling soon!

Hugs

Georgina said...

That's really painful...have had that before, many years ago. Take care and rest up.

xo,
Georgina

Olde Baggs n Stuft Shirts by LindaOma said...

I feel your pain literally. Ever since Dec 20. Me and my anti inflammatories and the ice bag are constant partners. Please rest and we'll be awaiting your posts. Linda in New Mexico, you know Georgina's idiot friend

Bone*Head*Studios said...

Not a good way to start the New Year,hope you feel better soon!!
Blessings,Flora

Cynjon said...

Get well soon!

Yve said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments :o) Times like this and I wish I had a laptop as I miss the blog and you all and the internet generally - so much!

I've had a really bad reaction to the anti inflammatories (Again!!!!) so I'm trying to fly solo right now. Another sweetheart from ADO has just sent me a message to wrap newspaper round my leg where it hurts most! Sounds crazy but my Mum (72 and currently having to wait on ME, not right is it?) says she knows lots of old gardeners who swear by that to keep out rheumatism, so might give it a try... the bedroom is littered with newspapers and books right now anyway... boy have I caught up with my reading!

Hopefully be back with the next part of the "step-by-step in the next few days... keep well, especially Linda, Georgina's lovely friend :o)

Fabby Dolls said...

Hi Yve! I hope you are feeling better. TDP Team 7 NEEDS you! Love and get well wishes, Deena

Abi said...

Get better Yve!