Thursday, October 29, 2009

Polanski's Vampires...

OK, just to get you in the mood for Halloween...

You knew I'd be back, a quick blog trawl calms me down :o)

Nip over to Obscure Hollow and take a look at today's postings. Despite Mr Polanski's current dubious situation and his tragic/scandalous past there's no denying that he is a great film maker but many critics have ripped my favourite Polanski film to bits over the years... I saw "Dance of the Vampires" when I was quite a young child and it just seeped into my imagination and just won't leave. I adore this film, despite the dodgy "comedy" that often falls flat, this is one of the creepiest, most atmospheric Vampire films out there bar non. It's beautifully photographed, mainly on location in eastern Europeand has a  wonderfully haunting soundtrack.

It's become a family tradition to watch this film whenever it snows (once every few years), that will make sense if you've seen it! My favourite scene is when all the ancient Vampires rise from their graves under the snow in the castle court yard to come to the midnight ball... yes, a Halloween Midnight Ball! Do yourself a favour and try and find a copy of the version shown on British TV rather than the American version (I think it's called The Fearless Vampire Hunters). I've seen both and presume that the critics were all watching the recut and messed around with US release... and I can see why they slated it!

OK, back to work!!!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Georgina said...

LOve Vampire movies too, as well as Zombies. My sweet man ordered the latest installation of "Saw" and "Halloween" and we'll be snuggled up next to each other and watch it. I've always loved horror flicks, but he's always thought they were meticulous, which they are, but I told him they're fun to watch and that what you need to keep in mind, it's all about having fun!!!

As for Mr. Polanski, yes, he was a horny little devil back in the day, but I agree, he's one hell of a film maker!!

Yve said...

He did have a tragic childhood losing his parents to the Concentration Camps and what happened to Sharon Tate (she stars in this film too) but that doesn't excuse his behaviour. I don't agree with that tosh that great artists stand above the laws of society, but so many of his films are really unforgettable.

Sue said...

I have mixed feelings about
R. Polanski but can not dispute that he is a brilliant film maker. Dance of the Vampires is also a favorite of mine.

Pattee said...

I'm looking forward to being at your party!
Pattee

Abi said...

Scarey stuff. Saw? Georgina - OMG - there is absolutely no way I could ever watch those - never ever - I would be sick, and have nightmares for the rest of my life - I think I have a torture phobia big time.
Well Freaky, I can't shave the hair off my doll, because she doesn't have a head! LOL, or limbs for that matter! so she really won't be going to the ball, however, I will be there in full support in the spiritual sense rather than body! Good luck - can't wait to see. How's it going anyway?

Sophia said...

Vampire movies freak me out! :) R. Polanski is a great filmmaker, though.

Happy Halloween. Be safe!:P