Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Unbelievable!

Ok, this probably isn't the place for this but I was so shocked I have to comment. I was in Chester today, beautiful, tourist filled Chester... I went into the cafe of a large and very well known High Street Retailer (one of those Huge well established names that has been part of the British High Street forever and probably your Grannie's favourite shop -well, if she's from the UK - NOT Marks & Spencer's, but would like to be, 3 initials) and decided to use the toilets. I have been in there before so felt reasonably safe in the knowledge that it would be clean - how wrong can you be?!!

I seriously wonder about people, people who perhaps walked past me in that very shop or were sitting sipping tea at the same time as me. Animals don't S**t where they eat so I can't even refer to these people/person as an animal but there must be something seriously wrong with someone who goes into a public place and defecates all over the floor then smears it along the walls. That was bad enough but there was worse (to my mind at any rate). The thing that annoyed and dismayed me most was the way the staff hardly sprang into action at being informed that their washroom was a public health hazard and that the Health & Safety "police" would have grounds to shut then down if the area wasn't closed off immediately. No, a baffled girl who worked in the cafe just stood there looking blank as other people went into the bathroom to be greeted by the same sight.

Soon there was a small crowd of us all wanting action and yet no-one seemed to have a first clue about how to find a Manager - what the hell happened to being proactive? How many times do you need to be accosted by customers ranting about the hazards of E-Coli and HIV before you decide that you might just close the bathroom off yourself until a Unicorn like "Manager" can be found?

The whole experience made me feel sick and I wasn't the only one. No, I wouldn't be happy about cleaning that up but, like I said, I've done my fair share of shop jobs and you would be surprised at what you get to see... and smell. YUK, what is wrong with people? Also what is wrong WITH ME??!! Complaining in public, is this the tip of the Iceberg, the long slow tilt into old age and Victor Meldrew-ism? I am officially MIDDLE-AGED!

7 comments:

Georgina said...

You did the right thing and I applaud you. How disgusting! But this type of apathy is all over the world...from those who are in control to those who are not...around here it's called "not my yob." Burns my chaps too.

Illustrated Ink said...

How awful! I can't believe some people!

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

That. Is. Gross! It has nothing to do with being middle aged and everything to do with having a little class!

Abi said...

OMG - 'I don't believe it', in a victor meldrew drawl. Seriously - I am stunned.

Zan Asha said...

Yvette, I doubt it matters what one's age is..filth is filth and I'd outright complain, too. I can't even imagine!

Yve said...

georgina, I love that phrase "burns my chaps!". No idea what it means but it sounds fab!!! I'm over it now but I felt a bit queasy for the rest of the day, didn't even have dinner when I got home. What's the matter with people?

FairiesNest said...

How disgusting! You were absolutely right to be upset...really makes you wonder about civilization...