Friday, July 17, 2009

ADO 4 Elements BLOG EVENT - Water!!!

Here is my representation of the water element... Her name is Ramani - the Bollywood Mermaid. I was originally going to make a traditional mermaid but then the 4 elements challenge came up, I posted a very early pic on the 2nd June. I realised I wanted to get away from the usual blues/aqua colour palate and had also been thinking about the fact that Dugongs are sometimes known as Asian Mermaids. Dugong and Manatees are thought to have inspired the original myths of mermaids - men at sea sometimes for years on end would spot these mysterious shapes in the water and created a mirage like fantasy woman in their imaginations. So that set me thinking of the Indian Ocean and colourful Sari fabrics. The whole Bollywood look is so glitzy and glam and FUN I decided to approach my mermaid from that angle! The Ganges flowing out to the ocean is respected as the giver of life in India too, so it seemed appropriate.

Check back tomorrow and I will show you how Ramani looks finished, and take a peek at my Fire/Dragon WIPs below :o)




7 comments:

Sarah said...

How interesting to read about your thought processes to get to your idea. Ramani is lovely! Your dragon is beautiful too!

Yve said...

Thank you... thought "process" seems too kind a word, sounds like order would be involved. My brain is more like a box full of fleas (colourful glittery ones, naturally) thought bouncing around and colliding everywhere!

Abi said...

I'll be back to see her completed! looks amazing already - I love those stunning large eyes.

jasmoon-butterfly said...

lovely work x

Kaerie Faerie said...

She is very cool, love your mermaid, she has a wonderful face

Lorraine said...

She is absolutely gorgeous! I love her eyes!:o)

Linda said...

such a lot of work , beautiful.Lindax