Saturday, July 18, 2009

ADO 4 Elements BLOG EVENT - Bollywood Mermaid!!!

Here is Ramani - The Bollywood Mermaid. I've had a lot of fun making her. The lovely embroidered flowers on her tail (front & back) are from an antique sari that I bought at a street market about 10 years ago. I made a bag from it and occasionally use little motifs from it on other crafty projects, it's the most vivid colours. I am a total sucker for Sari fabrics, I used to live in Cricklewood in North London years back and was always haunting the Sari emporiums, looking for odds and bits.

I've given her mehndi tatoos on her arms (not in the least bit authentic, she's a mermaid after all and would surely just try it because it looks good, same with the bindi on her forehead, although I think these days girls wear them for decoration even if they aren't married?) She has coral chips and tiny shells and pearl beads in her jewellery and everything about her is bright and twinkly, you can just imagine her sunning herself next to a rock pool somewhere exotic... I just wish I'd had time to make her planned "Tiger Shark" companion... Hopefully I will get him done sometime in the next few weeks.
Don't forget to check out all the other Element inspired art dolls on the other participating blogs, check out the list on the ADO Blog (in my links list)




20 comments:

Deanna Hogan said...

She's sure got the Bollywood look down! Great mermaid, well executed.

creativedawn said...

WOW! she sure is gorgeous!
hugz
Pam

jessica said...

she's great! i love the henna tattoos. her hair looks awesome so realistic and i just love that she's a mermaid.

Mealy Monster Land said...

she is awesome!!

Knot By Gran'ma said...

Fantastic doll... she brought a smile to my face!

ODD imagination said...

She is GREAT! Fantastic eyes and perfect details. She even brought a smile to my face. Who can resist Bollywood? :o)

Yve said...

Thanks so much to y'all. Just got home from craft fair so going to go and have a look at all the other 4 elements dolls in a minute, can't wait! :o)

dubuhdudesigns said...

I love it! Miss Bollywood is fantastic and I think you are going to have to give the rest of us a tutorial on how to make doll hair like yours. Excellant job!

ps...love the music (we have the same tastes!)..you need to add some bollywood music though..hehe!

Vee said...

She's just wonderful! Look at those eyes, and all the detail you put into her. I really love this doll and the concept.

Yve said...

Ha ha, Bollywood music, never thought of that! :o)

Kaci Marie said...

The henna tattoos were a great touch and I love your photoshoot set up, looks like so much fun! I photographed mine in a pinch and plan on reshotting her with a more "earthy" backdrop.

littlebitwired said...

Love her! Well done. Love the hair!

Алена Елисеева said...

What beautiful eyes! She is a mistress southern seas!

SpiritMama said...

She is fabulous, great work!

christina said...

awesome element pieces! i love your fiery dragon. and a bollywood mermaid? what a great and original idea! she's beautiful!
also i have to say i love the look of your blog. and your dolls of course. i am officially a 'follower'!

Trolineke said...

She is great, beautiful painted.

Yve said...

Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments and hasn't it been a blast trotting round all the fantastic dolls in the challenge? Loved it :o)

ViKa said...

Your Mermaid fantastic, lovely and charming

Las Noches said...

I love her eyes, beautiful painted

Catherine said...

Hi Yve,
I can't believe I missed this... She is awesome! I am almost through visiting, but wanted to say I love your mermaid! and your dragon too!! Hugs Cat