Monday, May 4, 2009

Spooky house inspiration

OK, so I'm working right through the May Day weekend, no rest for the wicked or Bank Holidays it seems. The Haunted House project is in bits on the mantlepeice and I'm itching to get back to it. Whenever I have a spare moment lately I scour t'internet looking for inspiration and this is definitely the best Haunted House exterior I've seen:

Photobucket


This is the link to the creators Flickr site so you can see more:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryciccolella/2921757342/in/set-72157603859623266/
The best interior though, by a mile had to be a Tudor Dollhouse up for sale on Ebay last night. I was quite tired when I saw it and forgot to take some screen grabs, when I went back today it's either been sold or retracted. It was amazing with stone floors strewn with straw and heavy carved fruniture. Very authentic looking and creepy. All the most atmospheric places I've lived have dated back to the Tudor period.

As a student I shared the servants quarters of an old elizabethan manor house, it had been updated and added to over the centuries but still had lots of dark panelled walls, hidden passageways and heavy black carved furniture with weird faces carved into it. Very creepy... we loved it! The next place was over a shop in the tiny chocolate box village of Chalfont St Giles in Buckinghamshire, one of the nicest places I've ever lived, about 10 years ago, there was an ancient churchyard out the back with a lych gate. The cottages up the road all had alcoves next to the front door with little glass jars for posies of wild flowers. According to my neighbour they dated back to plague days when people thought the disease was carried by smell, they though the sweet scent of flowers and fruit would protect them.

8 comments:

FairiesNest said...

A spooky house is a wonderful idea! I just inherited an old doll house and plan on making at least one room a witch's lair...but who knows!

Yve said...

Go for it!

jaz said...

i will get my haunted house out and take pics and put it on my blog. it has been a really fun thing for my kids for many many years. we hauled it to school many times over the years! watch for it in the next few days! joyce

Yve said...

Ok, this haunted house thing is infectious! :o)

Marjorie Dawson said...

Wow, this is SO inspirational! I know you will make the most wonderful creation when you get going!!

jaz said...

hi yve.....i got that skull when i worked i dentistry! the dentist i worked for had to have a skull to study anatomy. i often wonder who it belonged to? maybe he will come back looking for it! joyce

Yve said...

Not much left in the way of teeth to study! Funny how you collect things though, we used to have a stuffed crocodile with a broken tail in the living room under the sofa, can't remember where it came from and don't know where it went! All I remember is that the cat used to love pulling at the tail and drag it out, usually when we had visitors over :o)

Susan Shaw said...

I made one-room alchemist's study that I thought you might enjoy looking at. It isn't really spooky, although there is a preserved fetus on the shelf... I posted the pics on my blog at http://susanshawgallery.blogspot.com/2008/12/miniatures.html

So addicting, aren't they?