Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Frost Fairy - progress report

Well, she's all in one peice now - just in time as the snow and frost are set to return this week - and has been painted and varnished. I wanted her to look as though she is made of snow so she has a glittery slightly textured finish, and icy toned shading. Her face reminds me of a white rabbit and I was tempted to do her eyes pink but settled on cornflower blue in the end.

I think I'm getting the hang of acrylics or at least beginning to be able to control them. I have to say they are my least favourite painting medium, I find watercolour, gouache and oils all much easier to work with. Acrylics are very annoying, they just don't blend as readily as other paints, frankly, and that's why my doll making technique didn't advance for a while, because I was fighting with painting the faces on the gessoed canvas. I am pleased with Frosty's mush though :o)


Photobucket

2 comments:

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

She is wonderful!!! It looks like you ARE getting the hang of acrylic!!! Infact I think you have got it!!! I can't wait to see her finished!! How big is she?

HUGZ
Jacqui

Yve said...

She' going to be about 70cm when stood plus her top hat, so she's a pretty big dolly. haven't had time to work on her this week and she's giving me "evils" from the shelf! :o)