Sunday, March 15, 2009

Countess Bathory

French actress Julie Delpy has written and directed a film on the notorious gothic legend, Countess Erzebet Bathory, which, of course, she also stars in! You will remember Delpy from the haunting "Before Sunrise", if not, check it out, it's one of my faves (I say that with the absolute confidence of someone who hasn't seen the film for a decade perhaps!).

17th century Hungarian noblewoman Bathory, was famed for her beauty and was determined that age would not wither her. In the days before the nip and tuck became all the rage (amongst the self-delusional at any rate), Bathory bathed in the blood of countless virgins. Presumably this was during the great Hungarian Asses Milk scarcity? "The Countess" is released in Germany in June and should get to a cinema near you some time after.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Gail Lackey said...

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I'll be watching for this movie. I just love movies like this!! I don't think I've ever heard of "before sunrise", I'll check it out!
happy hauntings, Gail

Yve said...

You won't be disappointed, It's not spooky as the title suggests, really romantic! :o)