Sunday, January 18, 2009

How to make a jointed rag doll - Bleeding Heart 4

Here are the completed legs, well, there are still some things to do with the boots, but, basically, they are finished. I can't photograph the splatter effect on the legs very well. I am really pleased with the way it turned out, the gold/coppery splatters on the red turned darker but still show through on the black/midnight blue stripes. They actually look as though the legs are rusting here and there. This will be especially obvious round her knees. As someone who has had Osteo Athritis in my knees since I was a kid, I know how she feels!

I used a smaller bead than recommended in the book but I think they turned out ok. I put a small rose on each outer join as the finish isn't as clean as I'd hoped for. If I ever use this bead joint technique again, I will have to refine it. Just a bit clunky for my taste.

More later...


Photobucket

4 comments:

Tara Fortin said...

I love seeing it progress! Having you walk through the process really helps me understand how much work goes into these little art pieces.

Yve said...

Thanks, but I'm no expert, just bumbling along! I use calico which is basically canvas so you can go mad with fabric paints and acrylic. I usually do this BEFORE cutting out the pattern, then I wash and iron the fabric to make it soft and pliable again. easier to sew.

Marjorie Dawson said...

I love hos this is progressing! I am particularly impressed with the joints - beaded joints are a stumbling block for me. Your whole concept and progress are such a joy to follow - Well done.

Marjorie

Yve said...

Yeah, bead joints are tricky, this is my first success and still hasn't come to life without a lot of swearing! There must be an easier way!!!???