Monday, January 19, 2009

Competition - Win an OOAK Art Doll - Bleeding Heart 5

I am thinking that I would like to leave painting the face until just before I add her hair. Her upper arms were sewn on with strong twine through 2 buttons that allow them to turn. I will do the same with the legs and lower arms once their latest coat of varnish is dry. This is how I usually joint knees.

Varnish... that's quite a touchy subject...this is about the 5th "absolutely matt" varnish that I've bought through art, craft or DIY stores and they range in finish from satin to high gloss. The one thing non of them can achieve is a MATT finish!!!! The only truly matt varnish that I have found in my odyssey is for oil paintings but over acrylics it always remains slightly tacky, so not much use on my dolls. A friend's husband, who makes war models, advised me to get "Testors Dullcote", but the dire warnings on the can terrify me. That and the fact that it says not to use it in damp conditions, which might as well read: Not for use in Wales.



Photobucket

5 comments:

Tara Fortin said...

I would like to recommend the matte varnish I use, but the odds if it being available there would probably be slim. I know how annoying that search can be! Maybe you should try a spray?

Yve said...

Thanks, I know, it's really frustrating that aerosols are quite hard to get hold of from overseas now because of all the restrictions. The Dullcote is a spray can and I have high hopes for it if the weather conditions are right and the moon is in it's second quarter, etc...

Nat said...

This might not work for you, but I found that if I mixed my acrylic paint with my satin polyurethane I would not get the gloss anymore. like a 3 to 1 ratio.

Yve said...

Ok, cool tip, I will definitely try that next time, thanks! I wondered if you could get Matt mediums to mix into the acrylic, my art shop only seems to have gloss and pearlesant :o)

Nat said...

My polyurethane is from the hardware store.