Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Work in progress

Here is a pic of the finished fairy and behind her another one still needing to be dressed and wigged. I love their enormous feet, it seemed fun to give delicate little creatures big feet but think it's time for a change. The next dolls I make will all have much smaller feet, even the ones in boots.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





Below is the Pirate doll, he still needs a long waistcoat, possible a leather front and satin back, leather turn-ups for his boots, a tricorn hat... and of course - a sword! I'm still puzzling over how to make the sword, think it will be polymer clay. He will have to wait for that until I'm ready to bake another batch. I also need to model and bake a new set of limbs for 2 more polymer dance-hall fairies (similar to the one on the upper right corner picture). I modeled 3 new dolls a month or so ago, but the limbs came out all misshapen. I think I overwork the clay sometimes so it is practically liquid and it kind of flops just before it hardens in the oven. I was happily making clay dolls a few years back but this problem put me off for quite some time. I loved the dolls that I managed to make, but kept them for myself and thought the process too hit and miss to try and make them for sale. Then about a year ago I discovered the wonderful Spookbot dolls on Esty and was inspired to give it another go. I've tried not to complicate the shapes too much so I am not over handling the clay, that seems to be when it gets too fluid. I've put a link to the Spookbot dolls as they always make me smile and want to continue.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





Below are some faces that I've painted ready to be sewn up as dolls ready to stuff. I use artist's acrylics and wonderful glittery Pegeo fabric paints. I paint the faces flat then iron them to fix them and then sew them up. I started to make dolls without researching how other people approached it and realise now that a lot of doll makers make up and stuff a doll, leaving the face painting until last. Someone accused me of printing the faces, but this is how I get them so uniform. Up until early last year I was always experimenting with the faces, sometimes the eyes were buttons and features stitched on, but I wanted to make them more like the characters I was drawing and give them a subtle Manga/Blythe influenced look (the big eyes). I am happy with them now although I am starting to think about making some darker looking dolls, mine always look so innocent, even if they are little demons.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


No comments: